My diet sucks!
Seriously…..the 5 a day rule is more like 5 a week in our house and, honestly, I hate it!
Personally, I blame Hubs. He’s such a fussy eater that I can count on both hands literally every food item he will eat….most of it processed crap and none of it is fruit!
Becuase of this I get stuck in a rut with cooking. I always have to cook 2 or even 3 meals a night if I want something healthy to eat and while the smallest child is still not sleeping all night I’m usually too tired to cook anything so we all end up with processed chicken and chips or pasta.
Occasionally though my body has a major strop and starts craving salads so I will motivate myself to eat more healthily but even then I struggle with trying out new things……Not this week though!
This week I decided to push the boat out and try a new recipe – I give you a stock image of Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta. (mine tasted amazing but it did NOT look this good)
2 chicken breasts (chopped or sliced)
3 – 4 cloves Garlic (depending on how much you like it) crushed – I used this frozen garlic
250g Mushrooms (thinly sliced)
Cooking oil (I used fry light spray oil so not sure how much – enough to coat a pan though)
Handful of fresh parsley
1 chicken stock cube
6 tbsp cream cheese
Cheddar Cheese (optional)
Salt & pepper (optional)
- Cook the pasta to al dente and set aside.
- coat a deep frying pan (I use a wok myself) with a little oil and fry the chicken breast until lightly browned.
- Add more oil if needed and add the shallot, garlic, and mushrooms and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add a little of the chicken stock and reduce down. Repeat several times until mushrooms are golden.
- Whisk the cream cheese into the remaining stock and add to the pan and bring to a boil and simmer uncovered until the sauce starts to thicken slightly.
- Add the pasta and continue to simmer until sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the chopped parsely. This is also where I added the cheddar as I like mine extra cheesey.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
I’ve made this twice this week and it’s a new favourite now.
It also works well without the chicken and I tweaked it to add in some courgette too to up the vegetable count a bit. Both were equally delicious!
If you give it a try or have a tweak of your own let me know in the comments.